Saturday, December 17, 2011

Help Keep Other Sisters Alive

Tis the season of giving and I am swimming in things I have received as gifts in the past for which I have no space in my house. So I think many times that the best gift we can give is to find a cause to support wholeheartedly. For two years now, I have sponsored a woman's education toward job skills through Women for Women International (WWI).  I now have sponsored two women and am adding a third for my daughter to sponsor.  The two women I have sponsored are from Africa-- the first from Nigeria was born in 1988, is single and has 1 child . She attended her program in September, 2010 through February 2011. My current "sister" lives in Rwanda, is between 25 and 30 (apparently there are no birth records) and will be supported in the program until August 2012.  I love the fact that they call the women our sisters.  It gives another meaning to Help Keep a Sister Alive.

In case you do not think women in most areas of the world need our attention please take a look at this YouTube video.  It is not produced by WWI but certainly supports the underlying mission of WWI, as well as many other worthy charities for girl's education.  See e.g here 


No comments: